Monday, July 21, 2008

Getting Started

It all started as an attempt to get in shape and support a friend who had been diagnosed with Leukemia.  I talked a group of girlfriends (mostly non-runners) into running our first half marathon for Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  What turned out to be a lark has morphed into a goal: run a half marathon in all 50 states.  Why?  More on that a little later.....

For you accomplished athletes, this might not sound hard, but I'm what John Bingham, Runner's World columnist, would describe as a Penguin.   When I run, I look awkward, and after seeing post-race photos for my first half marathon, I'm investing in a few baseball caps to hide my ridiculously tragic race hair.

I have no illusions that I'll be on the cover of any running magazine. I probably won't place in the top of my age group.  I don't know if I'll ever decide to do triathlons or marathons.  What I do know is that I'll look better, feel better, and will have an easier time keeping up with my kids, including my 11-year old son who tells me he can beat me at anything athletic.  In the end, after 50 of these, I'll probably be able to run faster than he can.  Maybe if I'm lucky, he'll decide to join me as he gets older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Have tips on races you'd like to share? Leave it here!